Hacking GHC—What I’ve learned
Here’s what I have learned about GHC after spending a full day hacking into it:
- When developing on GHC you need the version from darcs, which takes a very long time to download. Fortunately I was able to get a checkout from another hacker.
- Don’t forget to tell the Makefile that you’d like to use the quickest version of the build: in
mk/, do a
cp build.mk.sample build.mkand uncomment the appropriate line.
- You only need to build stage=2 once—after that,
make stage=2whenever you update the compiler.
- The GHC API index is very useful when finding your way through the code.
- The GHC Commentary contains many useful articles on GHC’s internals.
Leave a comment!
Martijn loves to receive comments! Add yours by filling out the fields below.