Hello! It’s been a while; I figured an update would be appropriate. A lot of things have been going on. I’ll start with the bad things: Tita and I broke up and I got a bad cold/flu. It’s funny; the first one or two nights after I get sick, I always sleep badly and dream about… infinite things, usually. Yeah, infinite, hopeless things. And I always believe them until I actually wake up and take a shower or something.
Fortunately, there’s also plenty of good news:
- I got my driver’s license! After the not so nice stuff at Bruinsma, I switched to Veronica, and that went a lot better. My new instructor was a kind Surinamese guy who’d been teaching for over 40 years, and he actually took the time to explain things to me, instead of sending me into tricky situations and then getting upset with me cos I didn’t handle things well.
- My new job at Q42 is going really well. I’m having so much fun: the work is challenging, I’m learning a lot, and my coworkers are mostly very nice people. In October we all went to Antwerp; Q42 organises such a trip every year. It was awesome: three nights in a fancy hotel, in a very pretty city. Since Belgium is the country of chocolate, I spent about €15 on the stuff, at two different shops. Funnily, there was a huge quality difference between the two. If you’re ever going to Antwerp, I recommend you go to Chateau Blanc at the Torfbrug, near the Grote Markt.
- I’m moving! I’ve found a new room in Zeist. I’ll have my own private room and share the floor with 9 other students. I’ll have a shared living room and kitchen, fast internet access and tv access! There’s two disadvantages: the room won’t be as bright/sunny as my current one, and I will be farther away from Utrecht Central Station than I am now. On the other hand, I’ll be closer to university, and my new housemates should be fun.
- I’ve upgraded my MacBook’s RAM from 1 GB to 2 GB. It actually was a lot of trouble: I couldn’t get it to work reliably. After one month of trying, Kars (my current employer) took a look and we found out I should have pushed it in farther! So here’s a hint if you’re having trouble upgrading your MacBook’s memory: push really, really hard. And by really hard, I mean so hard that your fingers turn white and hurt for at least an hour! If the metal L-shaped thingy bulges, you need to push them in further. (Do not break your MacBook, and do not sue me if you break it anyway.)
- The first period at uni has ended. I’ve passed both courses (Aspect-Oriented Programming and Software Engineering). This new period I’m taking my last two courses: Implementation of Programming Languages and Software Architecture. So far they’re boring; nothing new or interesting. I’m hoping that will change. When I finish those, I’ll start working on my master’s thesis, and then around July next year I should be done!
- I’ve booked a flight to Bucharest, Romania! I’ll be visiting Oana for Christmas and New Year’s Eve. I’m very excited! Today she told me it’s started snowing there, and that it probably won’t rain when I get there. Last weekend I got a new thick coat, so I won’t freeze to death when I get there.
- I just got a ticket for Agua de Annique, Anneke van Giersbergen’s new band. She was in The Gathering before. I don’t know them very well, but Joris does, and he says I’ll probably like them too. And in December I’m going to see Apocalyptica. Erin told me her friends had been to Nightwish, and that they’d liked that quite a lot, so maybe I should get tickets for me and my sister for that, too. And Ayreon is going to release a new album! 01011001. I can’t wait to get it.
- Yesterday Jelmer, Joachim and I participated in the NWERC — the Northwest-European round of the university-level programming contest. Unlike the local and national rounds, we did pretty badly, solving only 2 problems, ending 40th of 51 teams. But participating was a lot of fun.
I’m glad the good things outnumber the bad ones. TodavÃƒÂa te sigo queriendo mucho y te extraÃƒÂ±o, no lo dudes. As melhoras!
Ik wist dit allemaal al, mhuahahah *zo goed geinformeerd*. XD I’m happy and unhappy for you, at the same time.
Vandaag zal weer een leuke dag worden hopelijk and I’m looking forward to Nightwish’s concert
Leave a comment!
Martijn loves to receive comments! Add yours by filling out the fields below.